Sunday, February 24, 2013

Sheiko #29 Recap

So here is the end of Sheiko routine #29, just finished week 4 on Friday evening. The reason I wanted to try Sheiko training is because I wanted to perfect my technique on the three competition lifts and I have to say that the routine is providing a means to achieve this goal. I also needed to periodize my training so that I don't hurt myself going for maxes every week because I'm bad at keeping a leash on myself O:-

The program has definitely been a challenge both physically and mentally. The repetitive nature of the workouts and amount of work done on squats and deadlifts is enough to drive many people away, and with some of the lifts clocking in at over 2 hours my mental fortitude has been tested. Also having to squat while exhausted has been an interesting and torturous task. However, I feel more confident with my lifts and am looking forward to starting the second phase of training  tomorrow.

The next step is Sheiko #37, which is very similar to #29 except there is a 10% increase in volume across the board. If you complete 29 you will do 981 lifts combining bench, squat and deadlift. In 37 that number goes up to 1110. In addition I'm going to add in 2x3x90% in week 2, and 2x2x95% in week 4. If I can get more than 3 reps in week 2 or more than 2 reps in week 4, I'm going to increase my maxes. Trying to outperform the reps allows me to test if I have made any improvements without actually having to max out. Also, elbow problems in my right arm are frustrating the hell out of me. I'm dropping my max down 25 pounds and switching over to reverse grip for the next phase to see if this will help as the pain is only when my hands are turned over (pronated).

So here's wishing for the best - 12 weeks out from the next meet!

No comments:

Post a Comment