Monday, November 26, 2012

Competition Results

I hope that everybody had a great Thanksgiving this past week! I definitely enjoyed my first TG at home in four years... Tuesday was the only day I trained last week, and the goal was only to do an opener on bench followed by a few sets of band squats and band deadlifts to keep my nervous system going in to the meet.
Thursday I ate a sickening amount, even for my own standards, and Sunday we had another holiday-sized dinner for my mom's birthday.

The powerlifting competition went extremely well. It was a fun atmosphere in a great gym up on Lake Winnepesaukee - so a big "thank you" to Bill Durant and the Elite Powerlifting Federation and Wayne Mclay of Galaxy Gym. All the competitors did a great job and made for an interesting meet. I went with three of my friends and training partners who also competed very well. As for myself I exceeded expectations and am very happy with my performance on the day. I am actually surprised as to how well I did.. Before starting the meet I would have been happy walking away with a 525 squat, 425 bench press, and a 600 deadlift for a 1550 total (which would be close to matching my last powerlifting meet in 2008). I ended up with a 550 squat, 440 bench press, and 650 deadlift for a 1640 total! Even with two of those being all time personal bests I still felt like I had a little bit left in the tank and maybe could have padded those numbers even more. Not to mention I came in about 4 pounds light, weighing in at 212... This definitely makes me feel like we had some good things going with our training and I am trying to distill out the most effective methods and how we can improve for the next meet which should be in the spring.

Here are a few videos of the final attempts on each lift just for fun.. Dont mind the unitard outfit!!

525 Squat

440 Bench

650 Deadlift

Goons: Me, James, Matty, Steve

Will be taking a week off of training to rest, in hopes of avoiding my bi-annual injury. New goals will be forthcoming!

1 comment:

  1. Good job, Nick. I knew you would do well. Can I borrow that onesy - I'll add it to my collection :)

    ReplyDelete