Monday, January 21, 2013

Smolov Week 3 Recap

This week was a doosy! Definitely felt like I was beat up and spending my nights in a grungy garbage dumpster somewhere all week, culminating in a nasty cold/sore throat at the end of the week. I guess this is what Smolov does best though, challenge your fortitude and ability to recover! After 5x7x405 on Thursday I was really dreading the final training days of this workout. Knees, hip flexors, low back all extremely tight and cranky. Luckily no pulls/strains/sprains though. 7x5x430 wasn't too bad during the actual lift but afterward I felt like death! Got a much needed 12 hour sleep binge Saturday night though and went in to the last workout 10x3x450 feeling pretty good. Got some timely squat tips from a very insightful friend at the gym and just beasted the last workout. Can't wait to recover this week and kill test day on Saturday, which we will do a mock full powerlifting meet. I was planning on just squat testing, but the guys over at ManhavenProject (http://www.manhavenproject.com/powerlifitng-blog/ - who have a great pool of knowledge and experience concerning the Smolov squat routine and Sheiko powerlifting routines - see volume based weight lifting) suggested that I test the deadlift too. I also decided to test bench press because I need to have an accurate number following the 4 week layoff because of my bum elbow. Looking forward to giving the Boris Sheiko inspired powerlifting routines a try starting with #29 next week!

Final week of Smolov recap:

Tuesday -
4x9x385

Thursday -
5x7x405

Saturday -
7x5x430

Sunday -
10x3x450

Video of W3D4 set 6 of 10 (apologies for the terrible camera angle)



No comments:

Post a Comment